Friday, April 24, 2009

Intention and Oprah's "Live Your Best Life" Tour

This story is not so much about winning as it is about sure and absolute intention.

In 2001, Oprah Winfrey announced that she was going to visit four to six select cities in America as part of her “Live Your Best Life” campaign. Anyone who is a fan of Oprah knows that getting free tickets to see her show is not an easy thing to do, but buying a ticket to this event could prove to be a little easier. Either way, I decided I was going to be at her appearance in San Francisco.

My plan was to call as soon as tickets went on sale, but that proved to be fruitless. The line to the ticket vendor was busy, busy, busy, for over a full hour. I decided to change my strategy, and a few days later, I called the ticket vendor, Ticketmaster, and asked to buy a ticket. I was told by a female employee that the event was sold out. I asked it there was a waiting list, in case more seats became available, and the woman said no; I then asked if she would make one and start it with me. She said she didn’t think she could. With a smile, I asked if I could speak with a supervisor or someone who could create such a list. She put me on hold and when she came back on the line, she agreed to take my name and number and call me if more tickets came available. I thanked her and told her I would be anxiously waiting to hear back.

A few weeks later, Ticketmaster called. A surge of excitement ran through my body as I thought about getting my ticket. The woman calling asked for me, but was calling to sell me a ticket to another event. No, I wanted the Oprah ticket. She couldn’t explain the mix up, but I told her it was okay and that I would be available when she called back with my Oprah ticket.

Finally, the call came; Ticketmaster had two tickets for Oprah. At a ticket price of $185 per seat, I could barely afford one. The woman said she could only sell the tickets to me in pairs. I held my ground and politely insisted she sell me just one ticket. Finally, she said there was a seat, but that it might have a partially-obstructed view. I didn’t hesitate; I somehow knew it would be fine and bought my ticket.

The day of the event was amazing. Seeing Oprah in person was a truly emotional experience. Her presence was like no one else I have ever met. When she came out and said hello, one of the first things she did was congratulate us for “intending” to be there. “Each and every one of you intended to be here today. However you did it, it was not easy and you are here simply because you intended to be here.” Yes! She was exactly right.

Oh, and about that seat with the possibility of an obstructed view… it was on the balcony, an aisle seat right in the center of the theatre, and quite possibly the best seat in the house.

No comments: