Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Month of Love Day 19 - Mary and Keith Dutra


Day 19 Month of Love goes to Mary and Keith Dutra. Mary and I go way back to 1997 where we met at The Cadillac Ranch in Concord. Keith and Mary met a number of years later and I'm so glad they did!!

Mary and I have had so many belly laughs I don't even know where to start the storytelling. The thing with girlfriends and belly laughs is that what is so funny in a moment in time between two people may not be funny at all to someone who was not there. The old adage, "You had to be there" is what it is for a reason. I'm going to share some of my favorites and if they leave you wanting, I"ll apologize in advance. These stories are for Mary and I hope they make her laugh today.

While we were single and going out dancing, Mary's daughter Maggie was in high school. I didn't have kids so though I could understand things, I couldn't fully grasp what it means to be a parent. One night I went pick Mary up at her house in Concord and Maggie was home. We made some small talk and as Mary and I were headed out and Mary said her goodbyes, she had a strange energy about her. We started to drive away and as I turned the corner she started yelling, "TURN AROUND! GO BACK! GO BACK!" I was scared shitless but I turned around and went back to her house. She jumped out of my car before I even stopped and said, "Come on!" I jumped out and followed her in the house where there must have been 20 kids! She started running through her house yelling, "GET OUT! GET OUT! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE BEFORE I CALL THE COPS!" The kids were running out and I was running out right along with them! She scared the crap out of me!! She gave Maggie all kinds of what for and headed back out to get in my car. She looked at me and with all the calm in the world and a smile on her face said, "You ready?" I got in the car and asked her, "How did you know there was a party going to happen?" She said she could tell by Maggie's demeanor and then as we were driving out, there was an unusual number of cars on their street. WOW! Mom instincts the likes of nothing I could have understood at the time. She was laughing hysterically that I ran out with the kids. I told her I thought she was going to mess me up!

Another time we went out dancing and we were in a bar in Alamo and it was packed! Like standing room only, and if you were sitting on a bar stool, you couldn't stand up. We were having drinks and suddenly there was a smell...you know the kind of smell. Mary wrinkled her nose and said, "Who broke wind?!" We giggled and commented that in this crowd, how could anyone know? A few minutes later, it happened again and she said it louder, "Whew Whee!! Who is that?!" She leaned into me and said, "I bet it's that cowboy, I bet he's breaking wind! I'm gonna go over and tell him how rude he is" She started to head that way and I grabbed her shirt and said, "No, don't go." She made it known she did not appreciate his lack of manners. I grabbed her again and said, "It's not him, it's me! My stomach has been hurting all night and I can't get up to excuse myself in time in this crowd." She started laughing hysterically as did I. To this day, if someone farts in a crowd, Dave will say, "Where's that cowboy?"

I could go on about the miracle of corn, that little purses piss Mary off, and the night with the magic blue shirt, but this post would be a novel. Keith, I love you so much and we have our own set of great stories, but please read this to Mary. Friends, Mary is in the hospital recovering from brain surgery so please say some prayers that she gets to go home real soon. Sending lots of love and light to both of you and looking forward to all of us laughing again real soon. #MonthOfLove

No comments: