Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Day 5 Month of Love - Hotty Roddy

Day 5 Month of Love is for Hotty Roddy. Rod and I met in 1996 in San Francisco when he walked into my business with a flyer for self-defense classes for women. I agreed to host a class and I loved it. I told him I wanted to teach with him and asked what I needed to do to be qualified and he replied, "Hang out and roll around on the floor with me." Yep, that's how it all started. We taught practical self-defense classes in the bay area and even traveled to Southern CA to teach. That road trip was a hoot. I won't tell the whole tall tale, but there were a few parts of that trip that come alive anytime we are together and the wine is flowing. Rod had an infected tooth, he knew something was up before we left, but he didn't realize the extent of it. While we were on the road, it was getting worse and worse until finally, I was driving and he was in the passenger seat sitting with his head in the seat, on his knees pushing his butt up until he was almost standing on his head!! He was rocking this way darn near in tears as I started looking for the nearest ER. I found one and a few hours later we had a diagnosis, a prescription for pain meds and Rod was hopped up on Dilaudid. He was so medicated that through his slurred speech I made out, "The doctor says no country!" He was weak, but he emphasized this. Yes, I love country music and Rod only likes one country song. I was playing the Gin Blossoms CD and the song, "She Reminds Me Of You" came on and he was sure I was trying to slip him some Garth Brooks or George Strait. The other noteworthy story from that trip was that he took me to a banana farm and with over 200 varieties of bananas, I bought an apple! It was a passion fruit apple, I had to have one!


Through the years Rod and I have been friends through too many boyfriends and girlfriends, good times and some not so good. We've had deep meaningful conversations, "No-no, no middle!" he would say when I would tell him, "Slow down, you need to get to know her, you are cutting out the middle" and of course conversations about nothing at all. We’ve been roommates and even experienced 9/11 together. He took me ice skating and out to dinner on my 30th birthday when I didn't have a date and I loaned him my car for weeks when his was on the blink, or he didn't have one... We've gone out to dinner on their boat with a ride home in the dark, I didn't like that one as much (the ride home in the dark part)! LOL! He is Jerry to my Elaine. I'm so happy that Hotty has found his true love in Cathleen and I love her, too! Happy Month of Love Rod and Cat, I love you bo

No comments: