Sunday, February 3, 2019

Day 3 Month of Love, Terry

Day 3 of my #MonthOfLove goes to my only sister, Teri Cartwright.

Terry (yes, I learned her as Terry, T-E-R-R-Y from the time I could spell so when she changed her spelling, I just never could fully adapt) is my only sister and she and I are the first and last born of 5 kids, we are more than 20 years apart in age. This is really only relevant because when I came along, she was almost married. Her sweetheart Bill, and now husband all these years were assumed to be my parents when they took me out with them. That would set the tone for how Terry took care of me and everyone else who has come into her life. Yes, she is a natural born nurturer to her very core.

I spent many years of my adolescent life with Terry and Bill. There were times it was really cool to have a much older sister and of course, sometimes, not so much. The fun stuff was clothes, make-up, she advocated to my mom to let me date before my mom wanted me to, and she put those boyfriends at ease. I had a safe space to go stay when as a teen I was at odds with my mom and dad, and later when I couldn't find my way as a young adult. My sister was always there for me even if I didn't deserve her alliance.


Our lives have gone in different directions, some because of our age difference, but more so because we live so far apart. Even still, we managed a trip to Las Vegas to see Clay Walker and she came to help me when Mason was born and Dave was deployed. I have not always been a good steward of her love and loyalty. I've behaved badly some due to immaturity and some because I'm hard-headed and get in my own way. I'm sorry Terry for the times I've been insensitive and not been more loving toward you and all you do for all of us. You took care of both mom and dad so they could stay with family and not have to be in a home, and you continue to take care of all of the people in your life. I love you and appreciate you more than you know, and I hope we can spend more time laughing this year even if it's only on the phone. #monthoflove #sisters

No comments: