Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How Do You Do It?

I was recently asked how I express gratitude. I ran off a list of things I'm grateful for when Mark clarified, "No, how do you do it, each day?" The answer came easily, I say thank you. I came to realize a long time ago that people don't have to be nice to me, and they don't have to share their things or time with me. With that, I say thank you, very sincerely. I make it a point to thank Dave when he does something I ask him to, which people often comment on. "Did you just thank Dave for taking out the trash?" Yep, just the same way I would have thanked you if you took the trash out for me.

How do you do it? I say thank you and Mark makes sure to use people's names. After our conversation, Mark called to tell me he thanked the lady in the drive through that day. I asked him how it felt. He said she looked at him like he was a talking dog, but it made him feel great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And I have done it several times since – with the same exact result. Talking dog – feel good.