Friday, February 1, 2008

Happy February!

Welcome to the month of love, the red month, and the month with the fewest days in the year. Don't forget though, that this year is a leap year so we get to add day 29 to the calendar.

This month we are going to talk about relationships. Family, friends, love, work, society, they all play a part in our lives everyday. I find it interesting that we tend to think inside the box when we initially think about our relationships. Family is family, we don't get to choose and hopefully we have been lucky. Love is love, when you love someone, it means something very specific to each of us. You see where I am going here.

I want to challenge you to think about every single one of your realtionships in it's own individual light. Let me give you an example. I love my husband, Dave. We have a very happy and secure marriage and it is true for me to say I love him. We all understand that, and it makes sense. But what would you think if you heard me tell my friend Mike, "I love you" before hanging up the phone? You might wonder why I would tell another man I love him. Well, I do love him. He has been my friend for more than 10 years, and I tell him I love him often. This is what I mean about thinking of your relationships in their own light. Dave knows I love Mike. I loved Dave before we were married, but more like I love Mike, without the intimately physical relationship we share now that we are married.

So start thinking about how you pigeonhole relationships. Are they all black and white, or are there many shades of gray? This will be a fun month, I can tell already!

No comments: