Monday, April 18, 2011

Picture U Perfect Photography - Shannon RIch

As a stay at home mom I decided to make my passion for the art of pictures become a dream career as a photographer. I started working at a portrait studio to learn the techniques of the business such as lighting, backgrounds and positioning of people. I was fortunate to acquire knowledge from a mentor who truly knew the depth of creating beauty, instead of every picture being the same.

You might have talent, a keen eye and positive attitude, but if you are missing skills and proper equipment this will become a problem. It is critical to have a professional camera during the beginning of your endeavor because this is the heart of making pictures come alive. I use a Nikon D300 which has given me excellent performance. Many others use Cannon and enjoy its features as well. Additional equipment is necessary to enhance your abilities; these items will include an external flash, reflectors and a variety of lenses.

Three years ago I started my own photography business. I am currently working as a photographer part time while building my portfolio. Being a mother of a 1st grader, I assist at my daughter’s school activities and other functions such as girl scouts as well as caring for my active 3 year old son. This has given me additional opportunities for leads to expand my business. Focusing on pictures in natural settings where children could be comfortable; such as themed portrait events of fairies, country kids and vintage. I love capturing the maternity sessions, even the milestone during birth and after. Family portraits bring back memories in a special way for their favorite location. This is the direction I chose for my passion. It opened my eyes to the world outside, literally.

These are a few tips to keep in mind when gaining exposure and experience.

· Have mini sessions at discount prices.

· Have a strong support group, be it family and friends who can become clients.

· Suggest your ideas with clients but don’t be pushy, let them have their day.

· Learning your skill is a continuous process. Suggestions are offered from mentors through photography clubs or workshops.

Follow your dreams; choices are endless when creativity is the key to your success.

Shannon Rich
916-223-1600

Picture U Perfect Photography
www.picture-u-perfect.smugmug.com





Photo of Shannon by Coree Firchau Keenan

3 comments:

Stimulate Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stimulate Photography said...

Love the shot of the little boy with the suitcases. Awesome! Keep it up fellow Nikon lover! :)

Laraib Malik said...

So, if you’re considering a change in your photography business or taking it to another level, why not open your own full body 3D scanner ? It will give you a whole new audience for your work