Monday, June 23, 2008

What Would Your Dad Tell You?

More and more these days I find myself sounding like my dad, or dads in general. Dave and I talk about gas prices, how much cars cost, and how politicians seem to just be saying what we want to hear.

How many times did you sit in the back seat of the car having to listen to talk radio, or hear your dad tell your mom that a gallon of gas costing more than a dollar was criminal? It's no surprise to any of us that these issues don't mean anything to you unless you're old enough to realize you don't know everything, and there's more to life than what your wearing or how your hair looks.

I'm finding that I'm realizing how dire things are right now. We are seeing back to back natural disasters, California is on fire, the mid west is under water, gas prices are off the charts, people are losing their jobs and homes, and through it all, I have to wonder, what does it all mean? Is there a message we're not getting? Is this some universal test to see who has what it takes to not only survive, but to survive with love and kindness versus war and hatred?

I don't know, but I'm certainly paying a lot more attention to the big picture and adjusting how we as a family live and operate. I'm looking for ways I can help and make a difference. What do you make of all of this? Does it just all look so bad because we've had it so good for so many years? What would your dad tell you?

No comments: