Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolutions and Weight Loss

It is the number one New Year resolution, "I want to lose weight!"

I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and from the day I was aware that I needed to be concerned about what I was eating, I was learning all the "tricks."

In the thirty-plus years I have been trying to keep my weight in a healthy range, I have learned about and/or tried just about every fad diet under the sun. Liquid diets, diet pills (legal and not), The Cabbage Soup diet, Weight Watchers, Herbalife, Deal-A-Meal, Fit or Fat, Fit for Life, low carb, high protein, no white, no dairy, and I even did a seven day fast with the idea that I could cleanse and reset my metabolism. Of all these programs, Weight Watchers is the most practical and sane.

Here is what I know: You have to get in the weight loss game because you want to live your life in a way that promotes health and fitness. You have to do it for you. This is where weight loss starts. It is a journey and there are no shortcuts. This I know.

Losing weight is a very simple concept, fewer calories in, more calories out (burned with exercise). I did not say it is easy, I said it is a simple concept. What has been successful for me is to make one change at a time, while being mindful of the other things that matter. Intentional exercise is critical. In November 2005, I quit drinking soda. I never did like the diet varieties so if I had a soda, it was fully charged. I have had fewer than ten sodas in over two years. I also cut out most all fast/convenience food. I have eliminated one bad habit at a time.

With that, understand that I still do not have a grip on my sugar addition and on emotional eating. I wake up thinking about food, affirming I will have a good food day. I think about it most minutes of the day, and do the best I can to not eat after 7:30 PM. I am still thinking about food (and not eating it) all the way until I climb into bed and when I wake up, it starts all over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who voted for not wanting to lose weight? That would probably be Paul, your trainer. Let me know if I'm right. Lover reading Intentional Winning in Life. It applies to every aspect of my life. I forwarded it to seven of my closest friends.

Kathy said...

Thank you! I can't do this without your support! Lots and lots of love!