Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wanting Less! It's Working.

Mason seems to have resigned himself to the fact that I am not buying him anything (at all). He has not stopped asking completely, but he is asking less and when I say no, he is not pitching a fit! Hooray! I don't think I am out of the woods just yet, but it's working. I know this because he is playing with the stuff he has now, dusting off toys he hasn't played with in months and get this, we are reading more. He has come to me to ask me to read books we haven't shared in a while and he is playing outside in the back yard.

I have to admit, I've had some serious doubts about whether or not I could reach a six year old about materialism and consumerism, but I believe it's working! The secret seems to be consistency, the say what I mean, mean what I say approach. I've outlasted him and he knows I'm not giving in. For me, the bottom line is that I want Mason to build a strong character based on good moral values and who he is as a person, not what he has.

This will be something we will work together on as long as he is learning and growing, but it is a wonderful thing to work on!

No comments: