Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What is the Magic of Christmas?

When people talk about the magic of Christmas, they usually have some experience from their past that conjures up emotions of faith and hope. Oprah tells a great story of being very poor and asking Santa for a doll. Her mother tells her there is no Santa and they have no money for Christmas. Just as her heart is sinking and her eyes welling with tears, there is a knock on their front door. Her mother opened the door to see two nuns standing there with gifts for her. She tells that story today as her Christmas miracle.

For me, the magic of Christmas is just like every other day of the year in that, if you have happiness in your heart, you can feel the magic of others all around you. If you only see the darkness and despair, than you'll be focusing in on that and missing the good that is happening at the very same time. I love my life and live in gratitude every day. I cry when I hear sad news especially as it pertains to children and animals. At the same time, I revel in Mason's laughter and how lucky he is to be surrounded by so much love, especially the love of his parents love for each other.

To me, the magic of Christmas is who you are everyday and how you embrace the season with lights, love, decorations, goodwill, and kindness.

No comments: