Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To Want

I'm concerned about Mason. I'm sure it's completely normal for a child to want the latest and greatest gizmo and gadget, but when is it that it's not about the thing, as much as it is about wanting it? I see more and more that when Mason wants something and he gets it, he doesn't take even a moment to enjoy whatever it is...he is immediately on to wanting the next thing. This became very apparent to me over the weekend while we were running errands. Mason asked if we could get a drink, a hot chocolate. I hadn't had any coffee so I pulled into the drive through and purchased a coffee and a hot chocolate. As I handed Mason his drink, before he could even really acknowledge that he got what he wanted, he said, "I wish I had ice cream."

This is not the first time I've witnessed this in Mason, but it really struck me that Mason is forming an early addiction to acquisition. He has a room full of toys that he doesn't want to play with and even when he gets a new game, his interest in playing it is minimal. It's time for an intervention. I'm going to go a full 30 days without buying Mason anything, no toys, gum, candy, nothing that is an impulse purchase. He will have what he needs and we will use what we have. I don't know if 30 days is enough time to make a difference, but it's a good starting point to see what happens. I'll post a weekly update and let you know what I learn.

No comments: