Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Is Hard Work and a Great Product Enough?

Whatever happened to, if you work hard, you will succeed? We all know it takes more than hard work to find real success, and in many cases you have to pay to have an opportunity. Oh, I can hear you now, "It takes money to make money!" Sure, and I've spent lots of it on: education, supplies, operating expenses, materials, inventory, samples, marketing, trade shows, and more. Oh, add to that list that I have a great product at a fair price.

I have and continue to work hard but I am nowhere near close to breaking even, heck, even dreaming of success. Here's my point as it pertains specifically to mom & pop invented products, why do we have to rely on contests (most aren't free) and reality television (more in my next post) for a shot at success? Why do product awards cost money to apply for? If I don't have the money to have my product evaluated, I'm not in the running for "Mom Approved!"? Some of the applications for these seals of approval and other awards cost thousands of dollars - all with no guarantee you will get the illustrious seal.

Heck, I know my product is mom approved, just look at the e-mails from moms sharing that for the first time ever, they did not struggle with ill-fitting gloves and even better, "My son can put them on himself!" Is my brand/product more valuable when I have purchased the seals and marks of others? And who are the people "approving" these products?

I don't know if it would make a difference because I don't have one. I am not willing to pay for the chance for someone to tell me my product is worthwhile and good when I have moms, dads, grandmas, and grandpas buying the gloves and writing me hand written notes and e-mails telling me how much they like them. That is a real Seal of Approval!

No comments: