Thursday, November 1, 2007

November 1, 2007 Happy Fall!


It's official! Fall is here. I love this time of year. Those of you who know me, know that the changing colors of this time of year just excite me from my core.


I love all the seasons and I am usually ready for them as it is their appropriate time to come, but fall is something special. This time of year is a time of reconnecting, of coming back together.


During the winter months, we all bundle up and keep warm. It is dark for so many hours of the day, that when spring arrives, we are ready to come out from under the heavy clothes and breathe in the fresh new air. We watch everything outside come to life and there is a sense that we are arriving again, too. Baby animals are born, flowers are painting primary colors everywhere, and the sun is starting to warm us again.


Not long after spring arrives, along comes summer. Here is the big preparation for what I love about fall. We shed our blankets, open our windows and doors and even take off many of our clothes. We start our days early and use them all the way up until the last ray of sunshine is gone. This usually isn't until after 9 pm. For my family, we are going, going, going, and going some more, and almost always in different directions!


As summer comes to a close, everyone seems to want to come back home. Not just back into the house, but they want to help cook and eat dinner together, the pace slows as we metaphorically prepare for the long, dark months ahead. In the process of preparing for winter, we get to enjoy warm days and cool nights. There are hints of fragrant fires burning in fireplaces and the scent of autumn that is different for all of us. The colors mother nature uses to redecorate are spectacular, but the show is for a limited engagement. A big gust of wind or an early rain, will shorten the run of her show. This is where I love to take it all in. Take a moment to notice the way the (earlier) setting sun lights up the colors of these gorgeous trees. I do, and in doing so, I give my family the gift of taking notice as well.


I love this time of year because as spring is about new life, I feel so is fall. I get to know my kids again, as we spend more time talking at the dinner table. My husband and I snuggle in bed because it is not too hot, and in general, we are preparing to take care of each other through the long, dark months ahead of us. Happy Fall!

1 comment:

Bettie said...

Of course, I am used to your well written words. Loved the success story about the credit scores. If you are looking for constructive criticism....the piece about the Fall was a tad long. You might lose readers. Good luck with all this. You are a wonder. Don't you have an anniversary coming up soon? Bettie