Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Can You Be Grateful When Life Is Really Bad?

Times are really tough right now for many of us. I know my family is not exempt from tight finances, things breaking, and difficult life circumstances in general. No matter what happens, I've found a solid space of gratitude.

Yesterday, while cleaning my very old stove top, it blew up. Literally! Fiery sparks, a puff of white smoke, and a pop! I don't have the money to replace it, but I won't take the chance that this is a fire waiting to happen. As soon as this happened, I found myself uttering, "Thank goodness it didn't catch on fire."

Can you practice gratitude when you are at your lowest? I hope so. The reality is, no matter how bad things get, they can always get worse. I learned a long time ago to never, ever challenge the universe with the words, "It can't get worse than this." I believe as long as I'm dressed in my right mind, no matter what circumstances present themselves, I can do something to better my condition. I usually start with acknowledging and accepting where I am. I try to learn if the lesson is obvious and then I look at what I can do, and I start.

That's my way. What's yours? Can you be grateful when life gets really bad?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I too have my fair share of challenging times.
I find that if I give thanks for all of the "good things" I have at the end of the day, that is what helps me to wake up to a fresh new day:-)

Tania said...

I'm the same way Kathy. When my husband has complained in the past about a 'surprise' bill coming in the mail; I say it could be worse, at least we have the money to pay it.

I'm glad your stove didn't catch fire and ruin your home, or worse.

Tracy Bobbitt said...

My philosophy of life is to accentuate the positive - so much so that most people have no idea the challenges I encounter on a daily basis. I believe that if we think positively it's contagious and will create more positive energy - but I could just be in denial. LOL. =)