Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Countdown to the New Year!

Is there a night more filled with sparkle and promise than New Years Eve? I don't think so.

I love looking forward to December 31st. As of this writing, I don't have any plans, but I have called a sitter, and have made arrangements to be out celebrating the promise of all the coming new year holds with my handsome husband.

New Year's Eve celebrations bow to both the sacred and the secular. The holiday has evolved into a rather elegant, if not indulgent evening for grown-ups. Ladies can wear their fanciest dresses, and men can turn out in their tuxes. The night is dressed in glitter and glitz; everything sparkles, from bubbles in a fluted glass, to the famous ball that falls on Times Square. Even without plans, I am excited by what we will wear, where we will go, and how sweet our kiss will be at midnight.

Now, keep in mind, I am 41 years old. I am well aware that things may not turn out the way I fantasize they will. It could be that we have no firm plans, end up having dinner that is ordinary, and ring in the new year in a dive bar. Even if that winds up being the case, I am going to hold on to my high hopes until the time I crawl into bed for the first time in 2008!

No comments: