Friday, February 8, 2019

Month of Love Day 8 - For the Love of Dogs

Day 8 in my Month of Love goes to Riley, Spencer, Gunner and all of our furry kids. I'm mostly writing about Riley as he was my "First Best Boy." That doesn't really mean anything super significant, but Mason hated it when he could understand that if Riley was first, he must be second.


Riley was always happy unless he did something wrong and was punished but he would soon forget and be happy again. He always greeted us as if we had been gone for years even if we just walked across the street to get the mail. Riley loved to sleep and he would always be the last one out of bed, but once we were up and moving he had to be with us. He also loved to eat. He would paw at the freezer for his favorite Bowowlicious snack or get up on the kitchen table to take a little taste of my pie...he got in trouble for that! He was always up for a good game of tug. He made sure that the deer and turkeys kept their distance but was friendly to everyone else he met. There wasn’t much he didn’t like. I had to think hard but I finally remembered he didn’t link to be shampooed or sprayed with stuff that made him smell good, he preferred to be a little stinky. We lost Riley in a tragic accident while we were away and it was the heartbreak of my life. I didn't have to worry about keeping the gates closed or calling him in for barking late at night. We had more room in bed but I know we didn't sleep as good. Riley was a unique dog, a one of a kind that has been impossible to replace. There are days and as I write this post, I still cry. Riley left us too soon (2002-2009) but he left some lessons for all of us. Say goodbye like it’s your last day on earth. Say hello as if you had been gone for a long time. Be passionate in all you do. Take advantage of the little pleasures. Play hard and rest well. Find a sunny spot on a warm day or lay by the fire on a cold one. Nothing is better medicine to cure your ills than a furry companion. Go for a walk or a run every day. Love the ones you’re with, love them with all you have and all that you are, it's the best.

Not long after we lost Riley, Steve and Roberta helped Dave buy me another dog... (still so grateful to them!) any dog lover knows they are irreplaceable and impossible to live without. Spencer came to live with us and like they have a way of doing, he picked me. I was still grief-stricken and when we went to meet some puppies, Spencer climbed right up on me and licked my tears. It took Spencer a long time to warm up to us, he slept by himself and would let me hold him in short stints. He was easily 2 years old when he started to jump up to cuddle with me on the couch or a chair. He couldn't be more different from Riley, but he is amazing in his own unique way.

And then there is Gunner! You all know Gunner and the hell he put us through in his first 18 months of life! I wasn't sure any of us were going to survive, especially him! Gunner was Dave's dream dog and he brings so much light and laughter into our lives, I can't even fathom what the day will be like when we have to say goodbye. He is loyal, and happy, and presents to people this big-scary dog front when in fact, he's quite the scardy cat. If Dave or Mason yell at the TV during football, you can find Gunner trying to hide in my legs. He is fickle in the funniest ways, I can call him to come to get in bed with me/us and he will run into the bathroom and lay on the floor. What? Dave will call him and he will run to me, and the other night, I called him and he jumped up on the couch with Dave and looked at me like, "What are you going to do about it, huh?" LOL!


Yes, we love our dogs. Dave has loved some cats and we've both had horses that we've loved on as well. Our animal-kids are just as near and dear to us as the humans we love, in fact, we might love some of our animals more than some people. LOL! I'm sure if you are a dog mom, you get what I'm saying. Happy Month of Love! #MonthOfLove #LoveOurDogs

No comments: