Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dealing With Disappointment

In every journey there are road blocks, stumbles and even moments of complete failure. It's those very things that are what make the journey interesting. I know, it sucks to find out the great idea that you have invested so much time and money in is not going to work like you thought it would, or learning that you thought your education was on track and now you find out your funding is not available an you need 12 more units to graduate.

The fact of the matter is, this is life. Shit happens and you have to be able to take in the new information, see where that puts you now, what are your new options, and adapt. No matter how crappy the news is, you're not quitting (even if you REALLY want to in the moment), so take a breath, take a break and if you're anything like me, giving yourself permission to stop working toward your goal will allow new ideas to surface.


I've been going through this very thing and I refused to stop. I kept pushing, pressing on, intending the answers I wanted to hear and not one thing went the way I wanted it to go. I finally broke down in mound of exhausted tears and stopped. I felt like quitting, I felt guilty for wanting to quit, I felt guilty for wanting to succeed! I struggled with the idea that I am so blessed with a wonderful husband, a vibrant son, great friends and excellent health... why on earth would I want more? This is the tape that kept playing in my head while I wallowed in what I felt like was failure after failure. I stopped working on all of it and went to the river near my house. Mason and I jumped off big rocks, skipped little rocks, and played in the water. It was just what the doctor ordered!


While I was playing in the river with Mason, something happened.

...to be continued.

No comments: