Friday, November 6, 2009

Learning To Grieve

Who knew one has to learn to grieve? I didn't. Maybe learning is not the right word, it could be that we need to unlearn the way we were taught not to grieve. "Buck up!" I was told. "You don't have time to cry, you have a job to do." I heard other's be told. Here I am now deeply mourning the loss of my beloved Riley and I feel like I need to apologize for having a broken heart. I don't know a single person who would expect me to down play the loss of Dave or Mason.

Part of grieving is being angry, heck, it's part of life. I know how the emotional tones play and though anger is not pretty, it's up from grief. Anger is a good sign that you're not stuck, you are healing and the acceptiance of your loss is coming. I'm learning to grieve and I will not express remorse for the immense sadness I feel in Riley's death. I understand that not everyone will know what I'm feeling and that's okay, but I will feel it nonetheless.

No comments: